Friday, August 19, 2011

hummingbird

my hummingbird
wondrously made

shape of
smooth almond, cleansed in spit
feathers blown on

sleek coat of down
glitters as you fly
from flower to flower

I took aim at a board, once--
the dart flew crooked
from my hand
and missed

but you, hummingbird, move so swift
as if the very thought of flight
shoots you true

you say,
"no, you are wrong--
my grace is an illusion"

this hydraulic sinewed heart
cannot allow
one millisecond of failure

my entire being
beats here in my chest

illusion, illusion--
it is sheer courage
that hovers me
weightless
in the air's embrace

gambling with my life
that one more taste of sweetness
will keep me
from falling

6 Comments:

Anonymous Percy Bisque Silley said...

O Little Bird with Spittle Sheen

The teensy hummingbird doth tweet and fly,
Then tweets and flies again;
I think it sweet and meet and sheek,
Which nearly makes me cry.

How beauteous and fairsome
In flitting fairy flight;
She winsome preens with spittle-sheen
To win the Heart’s delight.

By Percy Bisque Silley

August 20, 2011

Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 12:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lorraine said...

how much heart and spirit you put in its tiny heart, I love every word of its forever

Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

My Dear Percy--
Truly tears welled up at reading your gloriously touching ode to the elegant avian--I am unworthy of such generosity!

Interestingly, I had never heard mention of hummingbirds making a sound, until I heard for myself--yes, indeed, they DO tweet! And quite charmingly...
Usually, they are stealthy, pretending to be very large bees.

Lorraine--
I see the hummingbird as a messenger of how it feels to live in the heart--like being swept into an ocean and staying afloat by sheer guts!
Thank you for your passionate comment!

Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 7:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Percy Bisque Silley said...

My dear Lady Lorraine:

"like being swept into an ocean and staying afloat by sheer guts!"

This imagery is quite disturbing and will never do. As to my passionate comment, you are quite welcome.

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gillena Cox said...

aren't they just amazing, particularly in flight


much love...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 12:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

Gillena--thanks for coming by to brighten my day! You are a blessing...

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 11:56:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home