Saturday, June 25, 2011

words to a Sufi song

hold me
in the heat of your hand
until I ripen

hold me always
while your time that is not time
pulls fragrance through my skin

hold me, tenderly
as my sweet flesh splits
and my restless seeds
loosen and fall

hold me as they scatter
slipping like stars
between your fingers

hold me
while my dry body
folds into itself, slowly, softly

hold me, still
until I am nothing
and the night shines through me

hold me then
ride me on your arm
like a crescent moon

This is to put my own words to a beautiful song on a CD of Sufi music that has haunted me--since I can't understand the original language...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bhargav Bhatt said...

sooo beautiful, heart felt, full of depth...

thanks for sharing such a brilliant poetry...

ahhh, sufi... always takes you very near to god ...

Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 1:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

Sufi songs are soulful, so is this poem...just beautiful, my dear bird...in fact no words; just loved it :)

wishes,
devika

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 9:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

Bhargav--Wow, what a wonderful comment! What can I say--I really appreciate such a response...

Devika--I'm glad you loved it--That's all I really need to hear--but any comment from you is priceless!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bluebirdy said...

I have a couple of Sufi books but no Sufi music yet. Very nice translation.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 6:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lorraine said...

it's lovely, touching hold me and sing to me, sheer touch will heal me

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 5:33:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

Sheila--Thanks--this is actually not a translation, since I had no way of knowing what the words meant! I would have loved to write something that fit the meter of the song, but that was much beyond my ability--this is simply an expression of the deep feelings I had listening to the song. It's a prayer to Allah, like all Sufi songs.

Lorraine--I love your heartfelt comments, they are healing me!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 11:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home