Thursday, February 22, 2007

half-grown moon

God made my madness
as surely as he made
the melting snow

and when my feet pull me out the door
to see how much green
has thrown off its blanket
today

that is enough praise for you, my love

God made my sadness
as surely as He made
the clouds that come and go

dappling the full sun
of the angels' faces
that would be uncovered fire
but you put water in the way

molding your light into
a lover whose skin is warm
but falls asleep in mid-embrace

capturing my heart
in this brave world of shreds and raindrops
more jewels fallen
than heaven can count

and when I drink and hold
your rain
into my half-grown, half-eaten body
like the half-risen moon

that is praise enough for you, my love

................................
This poem was inspired by Paul's blog--"Original Faith"
in answer to a question he raised on his post...

7 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Like how you combine the themes of nature, God, another person... religious or spiritual experience as "praise?"

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 9:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Yes said...

Paul--Yes, that's it--and even our smallest thoughts and actions, as well--can be "praise"...
thanks for the comment--

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 9:59:00 PM EST  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Yes, I think God is everywhere: petals of a flower, birdsong, "baby ladybugs", mud puddles and maybe closest in our personal forms of madness. Excellent as always!!

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 7:25:00 AM EST  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

God is indeed everywhere. I loved this almost spiritual poem.

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 8:02:00 AM EST  
Blogger gracie said...

this is wonderful, firebird! so gentle and loving... I love the "praise for you, my love". The relationship implied there is intimate.

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 5:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger MB said...

more jewels fallen
than heaven can count

and when I drink and hold
your rain
into my half-grown, half-eaten body
like the half-risen moon


Oh, Firebird, you've packed so much into this poem.

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 6:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger Yes said...

Pat--Thank you -- funny you should mention mud-puddles--
I originally wrote "the dirty melting snow", which I meant in a nice way, but it sounded too negative next to "madness"--(which I also meant in a loving way...)
and you have cornered the market on mud, which I never will think of the same way again!

Gautami--Yes, in the same way we can see everything as spiritual...
even our imperfections...

Gracie--I love your comment!
The "intimate" quality is a bit untraditional, but it has to be said...to be real...

mb-- You picked out the lines that I had the most trouble working on...I was afraid I might be putting TOO much into one poem--thanks for appreciating--it means a lot to me!

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 9:32:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home