Tuesday, December 30, 2008

conversation with the Beast of Baluchistan

sitting next to the Beast
I am unmistakably
small

but being a nosy person
I ask
(carefully not using
the word "extinction")

Beast,
my friend

do these
21st century trees
satisfy?

Glempfllschhhh
he says
(that sounded like yes)

and may I ask
Sir Beast
are you a strict vegetarian?

(I did need to know)

Vroopff
he said
with an air of...old leaves?

And then
he looked me in both eyes
and spoke

I would lie if I said
I never am tempted
to nibble on salamanders


Oh! I said
and the snow
that melts in tiny lakes
around the tree trunks

you have seen it too?

And the invisible frogs
that sing in the Spring...


--My favorite sound!

and the tall grasses
with waving plumes
that glow in the setting sun
(I like to hide behind them--I'm shy, you know)


my dear Beast,
you are thirty feet tall,
can you disappear in the grass
just like that

the sun sparkling
in the rushes
distracts the eye


Uniquely ancient one,
I wonder
was the sunlight then
brighter, fresher

has it become discouraged
is it tired

those are strange words
my extremely small friend

we do not tire
we rest in the silence
we have millions of years
to live


Beast
is your silence the same
as that in my heart

yes, your stillness
deep enough to mute
a flock
of pterodactyls
it is the same

9 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Absolutely brilliant write Firebird. I loved the underlying messages - so appropriate for the coming year.
Ahhh...that silence. May peace and joy be yours in 2009 and every year after Firebird.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 8:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I loved it even without knowing of which Beast you spoke of, so of course I did a search, and learned more...and did you know that you're one of the links provided about the beast....How cool is that lol Happy New Year Fireb :)

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 11:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger krystyna said...

What a awesome conversation...!

I wish you and your family Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 7:07:00 PM EST  
Blogger Yes said...

Janice--Your comment makes me so happy! I am glad you like the message--the silence and peace--funny, this poem did not seem like a New Year's theme, but you found my reason for writing it... Thanks for your warm wishes for 2009--and to you the same, from the heart!

Lorraine--I'm glad you searched for the Beast--I was hoping you would--wow, my link was the fifth one on Google--above an encyclopedia entry! I never would have guessed if you didn't tell me.
Happy New Year to you, with love and appreciation!

Krystyna--Thanks for the visit, the wishes, and the lovely comment! To you the same, may this year be the very best for you!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 9:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

That was absolute prophecy, my dear bird..

Reading it again and again...

Wish you a Very Joyous and Prosperous New Year, my dear

devika

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 2:51:00 AM EST  
Blogger Yes said...

Devika--I will try my very best to make your wishes for me come true--and you must do the same! Which means you will have a joyous and prosperous New Year, too!

...do tell me more about the "prophecy"...

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 2:57:00 AM EST  
Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

hahaha...

i'll...when the beast in me is aroused by some other!?? :)))

love,
devika

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 2:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger Yes said...

Devika--I hope this beast is aroused by something good! Otherwise there will be thunder...

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 3:03:00 AM EST  
Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

if so..Rain follows..followed by sunshine...:)

Be Cool, my dear...
i am saying...
as far I know, no one can 'thunder' like me :))

devika

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 3:09:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home