Tuesday, June 13, 2006

conversation with a mockingbird

you're the one, I said
I know your voice

when I hear it
I stop breathing
to listen

.....................he said nothing

last year
your joyous unearthly
turn of phrase
caught me
in mid-step
standing on one foot
to listen
.......................he turned his head
..........................that's funny, he said

the year before
I was dreaming
of pearls
peaches
sea anemones
blooming
in the perfect circle
of your voice

...........................go on, he said

the year before that
I had made a wish
for you
to stay
...........................but I don't stay

my morning bells
and slivers of moon
how do you carry
in your song
the sound of
silver and glass
in a mountain stream
of water
falling
over hemlock roots
hidden in pines
flying downward
through cliffs
....................I do not carry a song
...........I open my mouth and it happens
.................is it not the same for you?


................He flicked his tail and flew
he had bird things to do

6 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

This made me laugh with delight!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 11:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Glad I got here from PT. Or I wouldn't have read this.

I like the bird's response..:)

Welcome to PT.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 2:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

Thanks, GT--
and PT--
Glad you came here, too--
always love your visits and comments!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 8:08:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa Cohen said...

Ahhhh, this is a lovely poem. We once had a mockingbird in the tree outside our bedroom window. It would serenade us around midnight every night. Thank you for reminding me of that.

(Found you via poetry thursday)

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 6:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Yes said...

Thanks, LJ--Great to see you here!

I've heard stories of mockingbirds singing at night; ours don't--
(for which I should be thankful--
it seems that people have been driven to violence by such night-time concerts!)

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I do not carry a song / I open my mouth and it happens / is it not the same for you?

Those are such wonderful lines, thought provoking too.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 4:32:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home